Tuesday, August 21, 2012

False Start

Yesterday was the first day of school here in Buena Vista.  Kinda.  For most students, it was the first day.  For kindergarten, it really wasn't.  We sent Analee to school.  Mom went with.  They started late (9 AM), and ended early (roughly 10).  It was an orientation day for parents, with rules and such.  In that hour, Babe went to the bathroom.  Twice.  When she got home, she complained about how boring school was.

Boring?  Isn't that something middle school students say?  My kindergartener was bored?  On her first day?!?  This isn't good!

I'm hoping today will be better for her, because this is her first day of school.  Really, this time.  No false starts.

When Anika and I were considering marriage, we went to a hockey game.  (Don't all guys think better at sporting events?)  While we were at the game, I thought "this is the girl I'm going to marry."  Finally.  You see, she answered about a month earlier.  I already knew she'd say yes.  But I wasn't ready to ask.  At the game, I finally grew the courage to do so.

You see, a marriage proposal is a scary thing.  Even if you know the answer.

So the entire way home, I was thinking about how to ask.  I already had a ring, you see, because I'm a dork and have these kinds of things.  (I also had a marriage style magazine; not exactly guy couture, but it proved useful later on.)  So we get home, and I ask Anika to break our "Spirit goes to bed" rule.  (The Spirit goes to bed at 10 PM, we said, so we shouldn't spend time together past that.  On this night, we were in the car at 10, but intended to split up when we got back to campus.)  She agreed to go on a walk with me.  Hang on, I said, I need to get something from my room.  (Why yes, I am smooth.)  So I go to my room and pray to find out if I should ask Anika to marry me.  The answer was "no."

No?  So what am I supposed to do now?

So we went on a very small walk, and then split up for the evening.

Poor Anika was very unhappy that night.  She knew what I was thinking (she usually does), and knew that I wanted to ask her, but that I didn't.  Later, her dad called.  "No more false starts," he cautioned.  It was good counsel.  The next time I intended to ask, I did.  That story is to come.

Hopefully the school follows Dad's advice.  No more false starts.  Not with my girl.  This is a smart one, and if they turn her off to school, I might just lose it on them.

My girl is in school today.  I feel extremely old.

3 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Oy! They need to change this BV tradition. They do that every year to the kindergarteners and every year the poor little kids, so excited for school, come home saying, "School is boring!" Something needs to change. The first day of school is not for parent meetings!

John said...

I am, in general, annoyed with a lot of BVCPS's traditions. I find they leave the students wanting quite often. We debated long and hard about keeping her out of school, and the debate continues.

The Wilsons said...

Good luck! We still debate... :)