Friday, August 3, 2012

Totally non-job post!

In this post, I will not mention any job-hunt activities other than to mention that I won't mention them. 

My good wife loves the Olympics.  She wants to watch them every other year.  She revels in cheering for her country and the sportsmanship that is exhibited therein. 

I'm a different kind of beast.  I see a bunch of jerks striving to one-up their competitors so they can pay a huge tax on a relatively worthless piece of metal.  Questions have been raised lately about cheating at the Olympics.  They're raised every two years.  This time, it's British bicycling and the mess of badminton taking the ugly cake.  Between those and the Blade Runner, whose abilities could not be tested before prosthetics and can't be verified after them, I am losing what joy I found in watching athletics.

Don't get me wrong; I loved watching the women's Judo finals yesterday while waiting for our van to be fixed.  Kayla Harrison winning the gold was awesome to see.  I'm a hockey guy, and love watching what one of my friends calls "thugs on ice."  (OK, wrong season, but still!)  That said, with judging controversies and timing controversies and dating controversies, I just don't think I can handle any more.  There's enough drama in my own life.  I don't need to vicariously experience anybody else's. 

Don't even get me started on NBC's refusal to just put the Games online for those without TV access.  They'd have made a mint in advertising if it was available to more than just subscribers.  They might have even (*gasp*) encouraged people to buy their product!  Never mind the fact that the Olympics "need" sponsors to happen (see here, or more specifically, here), despite the fact that I don't recall any sponsors in 1896 being prevalent in my research. 

I just want to see athletes competing without giving ground in their field, while being sportsmen and -women.  I want to see countries bringing their best and cheering on anybody that wins, even if it's not them.  I want to see teams united for a common goal, not skipping out on each other.  I want to see it.

I'm not.  And that's a shame.  Instead of watching the Olympics, I am playing with my kids.  Sorry, Olympics, but you lost a watcher here, possibly for life.  My family is more important than you now, and will be in the future.  Deal with it.

No comments: