As mentioned, we've noticed a number of blessings from the accident. Among them are the following:
1. Our Cutco knives were among the last things packed, and they weren't packed solidly. In fact, that box wasn't even closed. And it was in the front seat, next to me and in front of the kids. They never moved. We totaled our car, but the knives never moved.
2. Razor blades were flying around the car in the accident, but nobody got hit. As we were getting out, my good wife saw one on top of the air bag.
3. We all literally walked away. Admittedly, I stumbled out first, and then assured the paramedic that came running behind the car that we were fine. I then looked back and saw my wife gasping for air. (Needless to say, our air conditioning was toast, and spitting out smoke.) I then pried her door open and we stumbled out and away from the car. The kids (especially John William Adams) were so enamored with the wreck that they kept going back to it. The sheriff told us to keep our kids off the bridge where we wrecked, so we tried. Occasionally a kid got away from us.
4. We were on the bridge, so we could crash into the wall, and not fall into a ditch. If we'd have hit the ditch, we probably would have rolled. Drake's car seat came unhitched during the accident, and if it'd happened in a roll, who knows what kind of damage would have been done?
5. We got to meet the Daetwylers. Awesome people.
6. Analee wasn't there. Grandma picked her up earlier, much to Anika's chagrin. If she'd have been there, it would have been mayhem.
7. We left my car in Buena Vista. We didn't know why, but we got the clear impression to do so. Turns out to have been great counsel. What kind of accident would it have been if both cars were involved?
8. The car was luckily totaled. That means we don't have to go back and get it, and can get a "new" car in roughly the same condition as the old one.
9. The police, EMT's, and other helping personnel were great. We loved meeting and working with them.
10. Most of our new ward knew who we were when we got here. Instead of being just another new family, we're the family that got in the wreck on the way to town. People we didn't know were coming up to us and talking to us on the first day, just to talk about the wreck.
So yes, the wreck was an unpleasant experience. We still don't have a car quite yet. Some of our stuff was broken (a Wii game part and a bread maker, not to mention car seats, which is really not much). It's kinda thrown off some of our plans. That said, we really find the blessings of the Lord, even in the clouds of life. Some people find reasons to believe the Lord isn't there in the hard times. We're not those people. The Lord loves us. In this, we are assured.
James Marries Allejandra
1 week ago