Saturday, March 3, 2012

Differences.

My wife and I are very different. She is from a big family (she's 3rd of 7 kids), while my sister and I are so far apart that we're basically two only children that happened to share a mother. She is as disorganized as they come, and I like things to have their spots in the house. She is the daughter of staunch conservatives, while my mom went to Berkeley. In the 60's. I like for certain chores to be done every day, such as cleaning dishes and laundry. She's got a big project sort of mentality, and when she picks her project, that"s all she wants to do.

Our differences work together, too. Tonight, our Duck is sick. He's sent numerous sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. to the wash. Because of our differences, though, she took the boy, and I took all of his dirty stuff.

Another example:
I got called a couple of days ago to fill a Nursery assignment at church. Yet for some reason I wasn't inclined to find out what the lesson entailed. That's odd for me. I like to know way in advance. My wife, who is in the presidency of our church's young people, was livid with me. "How can you do this to the kids?" I honestly didn't know, made up some excuse, and went on my way. Now that Duck is sick, it looks like I won't be going to church. My good wife probably would have prepared until the cows came home. I spent time doing dishes. Either way, we both got what we wanted in the end: our prayers were answered, and while it's not the answer either of us wanted, we're becoming more and more at ease with the path that the Lord is opening for us. Even for just one day.

I wouldn't have picked my wife when I met her. She didn't meet my plan. Luckily, the Lord had a better plan for me. He led me to a woman that is so different that she fills my needs. I can't imagine a better place to be.

No comments: